Give Clegg a break - he's a brave man
I feel considerable sympathy for Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, partly on public and partly on personal grounds.
The public reason is that I consider that he was right to take a share in the Coalition Government. The other options were a Lib-Lab pact, which would not have had a majority, or a minority Conservative Government, hanging on for the opportunity to snatch a future General Election.
My private sympathy is due to my own attempts to become a Member of Parliament in the late Fifties.
I was the runner-up for the Conservative nomination for what is now Clegg's seat, the Hallam Division of Sheffield. I came as close as one can get, being defeated by a single vote.
I would have enjoyed sitting for Hallam, though I suspect that I would have long retired, if I had not been thrown out by some Lib Dem successor.
Hallam was one of a group of large city seats that had a Conservative demography but were gradually slipping to the Left. Bristol was similar; they had what was then a safe Conservative seat in Bristol West.
Even Newcastle had its safe Conservative seat. But these seats were becoming increasingly vulnerable and, I am afraid, even Clegg's tenure of Hallam is not wholly secure.
source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1339514/WILLIAM-REES-MOGG-Give-Clegg-break---hes-brave-man.html
The public reason is that I consider that he was right to take a share in the Coalition Government. The other options were a Lib-Lab pact, which would not have had a majority, or a minority Conservative Government, hanging on for the opportunity to snatch a future General Election.
My private sympathy is due to my own attempts to become a Member of Parliament in the late Fifties.
Nick Clegg and David Cameron deserve the credit for the Coalition Government, but it is Clegg who is getting the stick
I would have enjoyed sitting for Hallam, though I suspect that I would have long retired, if I had not been thrown out by some Lib Dem successor.
Hallam was one of a group of large city seats that had a Conservative demography but were gradually slipping to the Left. Bristol was similar; they had what was then a safe Conservative seat in Bristol West.
Even Newcastle had its safe Conservative seat. But these seats were becoming increasingly vulnerable and, I am afraid, even Clegg's tenure of Hallam is not wholly secure.
source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1339514/WILLIAM-REES-MOGG-Give-Clegg-break---hes-brave-man.html

No comments:
Post a Comment